Sunday, March 13, 2016

Book Burn 2016 #8: New Suicide Squad, Vol. 2: Monsters

BY SEAN RYAN AND PHILLIPE BRIONES, ET AL.

Deadshot, Black Manta, and Captain Boomerang infiltrate a breakaway sect of the League of Assassins calling itself simply The League. While they gain the League's trust; Harley Quinn, Reverse-Flash, and Parasite wait in the desert as back up. Gaining the League's trust doesn't turn out to be the problem; the problem is stopping Black Manta from going to the other side.

New Suicide Squad has been meh from the beginning and this volume includes more meh. Black Manta's conflicting loyalties between the Squad and the League are the most interesting, engaging part of the story. Everything else is fairly forgettable. Harley feels guilty in an unconvincing way, someone dies because someone has to die, and everyone forgets about Parasite. Because he's barely in it. And I have no idea why he was in it at all. I could've been in it instead. It's possible I was. I'm not sure.

1 comment:

  1. I think this review was hilarious. Haven't read the book, but I'm willing to believe you've nailed it.

    ReplyDelete